Instructions for Applying to the LaVerna S. Clark Freshman Scholarship
The LaVerna Clark family has made generous contributions to the English Department to provide scholarships for needy creative writing students in their beginning freshman year at BYU. Approximately five $1000 scholarships will be awarded each year.
The completed application must be submitted to the English Department by May 1st.
- Have been admitted to BYU.
- Be enrolled in at least 14 credits during the semester in which they receive the funding.
We strongly encourage winners of this scholarship to enroll in at least one creative writing class during their freshman year.
This scholarship can be deferred for missions.
Combine into a single document the following:
- 1. A brief statement (approximately 300 words) that explains in specific detail your financial need. Help us understand your specific situation and why this scholarship money will help. In particular, explain any extenuating circumstances related to your financial situation, and list the amount of scholarship money from other sources you plan to use for the coming academic year.
- 2. A brief statement (approximately 300 words) that outlines your academic merit. Help us understand your specific career plans and what you have been doing to prepare yourself to meet your goals. Also, help us understand any extenuating circumstances in regards to your GPA or other aspects of your academic record that might need explaining.
- 3. A sample of your creative writing. The work must be your own original writing, though we encourage you to work closely with a mentor in selecting and revising your most polished work. Do not exceed the following page limits:
15 pages of prose (fiction and/or personal essay)
OR 10 pages of poetry
OR 12 pages combined of prose and poetry.
Complete the form below and upload your document there.
Review and Notification
Members of the BYU English Department will review your application carefully and you will be notified by email of the committee’s decision.