Academy of American Poets’ Contest
November 1 to January 15
This prestigious national competition is open to all full-time undergraduate and graduate students. Poems can be published, unpublished, or under consideration elsewhere.
- Submit 1-3 poems (no more than 5 pages total). Be sure that your name does not appear on the poems themselves.
- Poems must be written in English and the original work of the writer (no translations).
- No more than one submission per student. Multiple entries will disqualify all.
- Poems must be in PDF or DOCX format.
- Poems can be single or double spaced.
- For purposes of definition, this contest is NOT a BYU contest (it is sponsored by the Academy of American Poets); therefore poems submitted to the Mayhew or Hart-Larson poetry competition can also be simultaneously submitted to this competition.
- The contest is open to all BYU undergraduate and graduate students who are full-time during fall or winter semesters.
- Previous first-place winners in this contest are ineligible to enter again.
- Poems will be judged anonymously and all decisions will be final.
- Usually, one first prize award of $100 and a one-year membership to the Academy will be given, though the judge has the option of splitting the award between two co-winners.
Winner may be notified via telephone and/or E-mail. All others will receive E-mail notification only.