LaVerna S. Clark Creative Writing Scholarship
Instructions for Applying to the LaVerna S. Clark Creative Writing Scholarship
The LaVerna Clark family has made generous contributions to the English Department to provide scholarships for creative writing students with financial need. The number of scholarships awarded each year, and the amount of funding per award vary at the discretion of the English Department, but students who show merit in creative writing could receive up to $1000.
The completed application must be submitted to the English Department by April 1st.
- Be enrolled in at least 12 credits.
- Have taken or be currently enrolled in ENGL 218.
- Have taken, or agree to take in ENGL 317, 318, 319, or 320 the following year.
Combine into a single document the following:
- Proof you have taken ENGL 218 or are currently enrolled (e.g. progress report).
- A brief statement (approximately 300 words) that explains in specific detail your financial need. Help us understand your specific situation and why this scholarship money will help. In particular, explain any extenuating circumstances related to your financial situation, and list the amount of scholarship money from other sources you plan to use for the coming academic year.
- A brief statement (approximately 300 words) that outlines your interest in creative writing. Help us understand your specific career plans and how this scholarship would help you meet your goals.
- A sample of your creative writing. The work must be your own original writing, though we encourage you to work closely with a mentor in selecting and revising your most polished work. Do not exceed the following page limits:
- 15 pages of prose (fiction and/or personal essay)
- OR 10 pages of poetry
- OR 12 pages combined of prose and poetry.
- Complete the form below and upload your document there.
Review and Notification
Members of the BYU English Department will review your application carefully and you will be notified by email of the committee’s decision.